Thursday, November 19, 2020

All Is Not Lost

 This is the first time I've felt inspired to write in my blog in a very long time.

The school year has been strange in so many ways. Usually by this time the classes are in a groove and doing well. And that has happened -- not exactly in the ways I'm used to, but I'm seeing it.

It is Spirit Week at our school, and yesterday was Red, White, and Blue day. So when I saw this picture from Pexels, I felt it represented what occurred on Wednesday.



3rd period was its usual quiet self. It is my largest in-person class, mostly girls, and is always super quiet.

5th period is my toughest class -- mostly boys, and lots of off-task behavior.  But yesterday was a bit different.  They had an assignment to do (which usually barely gets done), but they were working. And helping each other. And suddenly it was 15 minutes before lunch, and they were ALL DONE (except for one kid who was admitting he was just being lazy.)

So I let them go out into the courtyard on this beautiful November day and play. I have a stuffed fish (Nemo) they used as a football. They had the time of their lives.  It was so fun to hear them playing, to see them being kids and not staring at a computer. It did my heart good.

7th period came, and they got the job done. Then 9th was buzzing along until the last 15 minutes -- fire drill!

We came back in just in time to clean the desks and leave for 11th period. But the internet had gone down!  I couldn't get a Zoom session opened for my online kids. Admin came on the PA and it sounded like they didn't know when it would come back up, so I had to scramble for something for my kids to do that was not computer-related. Lo and behold, I was already set up for a back-up activity on Friday, with card-making supplies ready for them to write Thank You notes to people in their lives.  The kids had a blast making the cards, getting creative, piling notes on my desk, and eventually going outside to play tag. I didn't have to deal with online kids. I sat and relished what we had -- a chance to have school like "the old days" -- making things by hand, playing together, and not staring at a computer screen. I didn't have to worry that the online kids weren't getting the same experience because, well, there was no connection.

I was exhausted by the time I got home, for it had been a real roller coaster ride. But I realized all has not been lost. The kids are finding ways to be successful, to support each other, to be kids and have fun. It reminded me again of all the reasons I am a teacher -- to experience joy and learning and spontaneity. 

As tiring as it was in the end, my heart still feels full and happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...