Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunrise at the Slough

I recently made a commitment to myself to do what I am calling "soul practices" -- activities I know feed my soul.  Today's practice was to get to Six Mile Cypress Slough right at sunrise.  Get some green space in my life!

I was the first one there -- just the way I like it -- besides one photographer. The reflections of the trees in the pond were particularly beautiful in the morning light. Soon I discovered that part of the boardwalk is closed off temporarily "to protect wildlife."  I wondered just what that meant, since I have never seen them close it before.

Reflections
I walked slowly, listening to the various bird calls, and came to the Pop Ash Pond. I spotted a pair of cardinals, she with an neon orange beak.  I got a picture of him, but she disappeared before I got her. There weren't any other birds in the pond, until I walked away.  I heard a splashing sound, so I went back. There was an anhinga that had just come out of the water and was on a tree.

Anhinga




Mr. Cardinal. Misses flew away


Just past the Otter Pond is where the boardwalk was closed in the other direction. At the Otter Pond, there were lots of grunts from a gator or pig frog -- couldn't tell which.  Again, not a lot happening.

Until I walked away.  Then I heard a LOUD scream, and the sound of birds squawking. Then silence.  I smiled in amusement. Someone was mad!

But then I realized -- that was probably the scream of a panther. Most likely the wildlife they are protecting is a mama panther and her babies. I can't find anything about it online, but WOW. 

On my way back I was delighted to find apple snails chilling close to the boardwalk. That was a first for me.

All and all, a memorable and soulful morning at the Slough.

Apple snails
Hiding place


Pond apples




No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...