Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Six Tiny Words

This semester has brought a great thing to my life. Here it is in six words:

Teaching creative writing
Dream come true.

This week in the class, made up of 30 kids who LOVE to write, we are focusing on tiny texts. On Monday, I had them experiment with haiku, tanka, haibun, and pi-ku.  Today, it was the six word memoir.

I had them write about 5 or 6 of these, then choose the best to put on an index card. We then used the card for a "Conga" activity, where we lined up across from a partner, read our memoirs to each other, then Conga-lined down to meet new partners.  The memoirs are fine. Their enthusiasm for the activity...well, maybe a bit lukewarm.

Middle school students
don't like Conga.

Here are some selections from my students.  The first one refers to the current carnation sale going on for Valentines day, where they can buy a carnation to send to a friend. The rest I think are pretty self-explanatory, some working on multiple levels, some playful, some heartbreaking.



Carnations?
Who are they from...
Me.


I asked.  You answered. With silence.


Small
Chiseled
Crushed
Smashed
Found
Rebuilt


When life is
down, get
up.


My dog
A car
A crash

You said we were friends.
Backstabber.


Loading, Loading, Loading, Loading,
Loading...FINALLY


Shadows
just want
to be Free


 If they
had not
said it.


You know that
moment when...
#Unrelatable


You said you were fine.
Lies.


The rain
The gloom
The despair


I heard a 
cry.
I'm alone.



 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...