Wednesday, August 14, 2024

The Love Remains


 My brother Matt is the caretaker of the big box of photos from my mom’s house.
He occasionally pulls our photos we have forgotten about.

On my birthday this year, this is the one he posted.
It was my 19th birthday in 1974.
I was working at a fast food restaurant and getting ready to go to computer school.
I’m wearing a top made for me by my friend Cathy.
It had little cartoon figures of Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
And wide leg bell bottoms, of course.
I never wore shorts.

I’m here with my brother Richie.
He would not make it to his next birthday.

By my next birthday this picture would not be possible.

I meditated on this photo this morning.
I find it curious the way I’m holding his arms.
I may have stopped him from playing to get in the picture.
I may be holding on because I know I’m losing him.
In 1974 there wasn’t much hope for those with leukemia.

Summer days and birthdays are universal
As is loss.
Health issues can devastate and change.

Thank goodness the love remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...