Wednesday, July 17, 2024

For the Love of Rock Shrimp (and Doug)

 Today this photo came up in FB memories:


This was taken at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville by Jim’s brother Doug. We had traveled there for a little getaway, to see Doug, and go to the Kennedy Space Center on this date in 2016.

I first fell in love with rock shrimp in 1986. We had traveled to Florida from Ohio for Thanksgiving weekend with Jim’s family. One night, we all drove to Titusville just to go to Dixie Crossroads. Some kind of family tradition.

The last time I ate at the restaurant was when we visited Doug during Thanksgiving week of 2021. He was terminally ill with cirrhosis of the liver. We feasted at Dixie Crossroads, and Doug shared a lot of his shrimp with me. Despite his ill health, he was friendly to the wait staff and kept us all laughing. I remember that dinner better than the others because we knew it was the last time we’d spend time with him. 

He passed in January 13, 2022.

There was never a visit to Dixie Crossroads without Doug. I don’t know if I will ever return to that restaurant, but it will forever be held in my heart as a place where family love and laughter prevailed.

With Doug in Orlando, December 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...