Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Sun Up to Sun Down

 Modeled from David Whyte’s poem “Kayak VI.”

When the mind lets go at last
I just do what needs to be done
After years of keeping my own schedule
I am now on another

And in each wave
The days go quickly
I read and write and sometimes nap
But it never feels like enough

In my arms
I bear the meals and shopping
The cleaning and maintenance
The household concerns

In my voice
I keep the tenderness within measure
Although it isn’t always easy
Demands are increasing

Even here
Going through our days together
Still has its magic, sun up to sun down

Others look to find us
What do they see?

An old married couple
Making the best
Of the life that’s left



No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...