Sunday, May 12, 2024

For the Love of Reading

 I don’t remember it, but I’m sure my mother read this book to me when around the time my brother Matthew was born. It may be the first book I owned.



I remember reading to her when I came home from school with the Dick and Jane books. She was patient and showed interest. At a young age, I was gifted with the knowledge that reading was a necessary and worthwhile activity.

From my dad’s standpoint, it was the comic section of the paper. I’ve always been an early riser, and when my dad got up at 6 a.m. to get ready for work, I was up as well, the comic section splayed out on the floor for me to read while he shaved and got dressed. 

My parents made sure I had a library card as soon as I was eligible to have one, and also made sure I took responsibility for the books. To this day, I don’t know how anyone survives without a library card. 

My mother is now 91-years-old and occasionally has the opportunity to read to the children at Chestnut Elementary School, where I attended 6th grade. I love when I see these photos of her interacting with children. It reminds me again that one of the greatest gifts she gave me was a love of reading.






1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Helen! Although there was little money in my home, there were always books. My parents let me join Scholastics Book of theonth Club & my grandmother read to me as an infant. I have always had a love affair with reading & writing. Your blog helped tme to remember who to thank.

    ReplyDelete

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...