Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Defending

 I have started this book and can barely put it down.


Yesterday I read over 100 pages, and couldn’t stop sharing what I was reading with Jim and another cancer patient while in the infusion room. No matter who I talk to about this book, they reveal they know kids with anxiety. Our neighboring patient even ordered the book while he was being treated.

There is so much in the well-researched book that helps me understand what is happening with my learners on an even deeper level. I knew smartphones and lack of play were a problem. I just didn’t realize the reasons, the extent of it, and how widespread it is.

What I want to write about today is the idea of Discover and Defend. This has to do with mindsets that are developed in childhood.


I bring this up today because I’ve noticed a trend with some of my highest achievers. We had a huge research project, and I provided as much support as I could, while still leaving the possibility of their own creativity to flourish. I’ve written about this previously, how a couple of students did a presentation that I thought was a decent model that could be useful to others. I provided that because it came available. It was never my intention to tell them exactly what their slides should look like. 

A few of these high achievers missed the mark on their research…one in particular I’m thinking of basically did not go very deep. There were 3 high-achievers on that team, and it came off very weak. Their grade was not the one they are used to, but honestly, they needed to be pushed.

One of the complaints I got on the reflection sheet from them and a few others was that I had not provided the information to them on how to set up their slides —which was not the issue at all. When faced with having deal with a lower grade than they are used to, they didn’t absorb the reason why. Instead, they blamed me for not providing what they needed. But as we know, it’s a false complaint. Technically, I did provide something. 

While reading Haidt’s book, I thought of that. They want me to keep them safe from not getting high grades, or for being reminded they didn’t quite do the job. 

To be fair, not all the students defended. Many of them acknowledged how they could have done better, and they sincerely reflected on why. They were willing to discover something new, something to improve. They didn’t toss it back at me as if I’m to blame. 

The other complaint that got me was “not enough time.” 

They had THREE MONTHS. Enough said!

(Should I mention here that one girl missed 2 class periods with her team because her mom took her on a cruise?) 😝

Perhaps they are happy now because the Titanic project does tell them how to set up their slides. Maybe now they can relax and discover and imagine and create. I sure hope that is the case. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

How Melody Inspires

I’m not talking about music melody. I’m talking about my friend Melody. And when I say “friend,” I always get a wry smile. I went to high sc...