Saturday, March 16, 2024

Emerson & the Stars

I finished reading Mary Oliver’s essay about Ralph Waldo Emerson today. Like her, I have specific connections to him.

In my classroom I have this poster, the one the kids call “the eye chart.”


Every year I wait until someone notices it and tries to read what it says. Sometimes it takes weeks. Sometimes months. But it is always a fun moment when they do. 

In case you’re having trouble, it says When it’s dark enough you can see the stars.

But that is not my only connection. 

In the fall of 2010, I was teaching the Transcendentalists to my Junior English Honors class. I typically got up at 4:15 a.m. so I could leave for work around 6 a.m.  One October morning, I woke and knew right away I had to take a walk around the block, which was not my usual routine. I clearly recall looking up at the starry night sky and recalling these words by Emerson we had just discussed:


Since that day, I cannot look at a starry sky without thinking of Emerson and his revelation that this celestial glory should be acknowledged and celebrated. If we don’t, who will?



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your poem. Im happy to know it brings you peace.
    That orchid is a symbol of the love that surrounds you. No wonder when you view the beauty of that love and support it is a reminder to meditate.

    ReplyDelete

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...