Saturday, February 17, 2024

Cancun, Mexico

Inspired by "Pisac, Peru" by David Whyte

October 1987. I was 32, Jim was 45

 I remember the mornings I'd walk the surf,
while you drank coffee on the deck and watched
the sun rise over the Caribbean, then we'd saunter
over to the breakfast buffet that would hold us
until dinnertime.

I remember our resort, the restaurants and large
gray lizards on the lawn, the coolness of our room,
no news affecting our being, so much so the U.S. economy
crashed while we were gone and we had no idea.

I remember the now-called "Riviera Maya" as miles
of jungle, where the residents would flag the road to 
their homes with plastic grocery bags.

I remember discovering a local beach, Chemuyil, a place 
with a tiki bar where a woman had a  coatimundi on a leash,
and huts where food was served, meals
of fresh caught fish, rice, beans, steamed jicama, 
homemade tortillas and salsa. Our many afternoons at 
Chemuyil included watching a boy band from England
recording their music video among the palm trees,
snorkeling the reefs, drinking Mexican beer, and baptizing 
myself in the water the year I had a cancer diagnosis.
 
I remember yesterday after you got your chest X-ray
and you were home and back in bed, I said
This isn't getting on a plane and flying to Mexico,
but this is our life now, and as long as we're together,
I'm fine.
 
And I meant it like I've never meant anything else,
deep in my heart and soul.
 
This ain't no beach vacation.
 
But it is my one life
and I will live it.
 
 

We are just waves in the ocean. Nothing is permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...