Saturday, April 16, 2022

50. Creative Writing Club, April Edition (Spine Poem Series)

 #66Challenge

 

In this session, I introduced the idea of SPINE POEMS -- using each word in a line from a poem as starters for the sentences. Three wonderful and dedicated writers showed up, which allowed me to create a series of my own, based on the lines I had pulled.

The lines are in italics. My poem follows. Below are all the titles and poets who wrote these lines.


Crying only a little bit is no use

Crying nearly nonstop that day
only dry eyes when students were present
a cavernous sorrow and pain 
little did I know it was a
bit like the mouth of a river, this
is now so obvious, as I entered and learned to flow,
no loss, only gain, a new path
use(d) to get me to Wild Joy
 
 
The magic of the day is morning
 
The way I experience it
magic happens in those hours
of writing and music and clarity
the earlier the better, sun greeting
day rise, a rise within; it 
is how I survive, a think I cherish
the routine I can't live without
morning practices keep me alive.
 
 
I put a seed into the ground
 
I will always remember when someone
put out the idea I should be a teacher
a surprise I dismissed outright, but a
seed was planted
into my inner self that always knew,
the way just needed illumination, so the
ground could be tread to reach this place.
 
 
if everything happens that can't be done

if I keep going in this direction
everything will fall into place
happens that the right moments twinkle
that I have trained myself to watch for, notice and
can't ignore when I know it's good
be that teacher, I hear a voice say.
done!



***While we wrote, the girls were playing different songs. I liked this artist that Grace chose:




Sources for spine poems:
"Crying" by Galway Kinnell
"Ballad of Morning Streets" by Amiri Baraka
"Tommy" by Gwendolyn Brooks
"if everything that can't be done" by e.e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...