Monday, January 31, 2022

30. The Web of Trust

 #66Challenge

 


 

Last week, in preparation for a story we will be reading, I had the kids sign up to define and write sentences for 2 out of the 12 words that will be in the story. Usually we just do them together as a class, but instead I made this a mission with "mission commanders" for each set of words. They had 8 minutes to get their definitions and sample sentences together.

The next step was a treasure hunt. They needed to take their workshop books and go to other learners and get the words they did not have. I figured this would be a good way to let them walk around, talk, have a bit more engagement.

And it worked...mostly.

During 3rd period, a learner had just finished gathering a couple of words, and he looked up at me and said, "Miss, I hate this."  

 I said, "You aren't enjoying the activity?" 

And he said, "No, I kind of love it. I have a love/hate relationship with it."

During 5th period, an exasperated girl looked at me and said, "I'm tired of these kids."

9th went fine. There was one boy who is new to the class who would not participate. He indicated he didn't like the kids in the class.

But it was 11th that really caught my attention. When it came time to go on the treasure hunt, the response was not immediate. Learners were looking all the words up themselves rather than go to another table and retrieve the definitions. Others, who wanted to do it, were reluctant to approach certain people for the answers. It was totally hit or miss -- some kids participating fully, some kids on the edge, and some kids just doing all the work themselves. 

I was not happy at all with what I witnessed, even as understood some of the dynamics at play.

Over the weekend, Parker Palmer (the author of The Courage to Teach) sent out a list of podcasts he was recently on. I found one on "Relational Trust" and listened. The host was Nat Damon, and educator who has a book called Time to Teacher, Time to Reach, and he has a podcast called "Reach, Teach, Talk."  The discussion they had helped me see that there is a gap in relational trust in the classroom. I am aware of some of the reasons for this, but I have also done little to repair it. I feel like I just recently got a handle on how to teach the curriculum in a way that works for all, so the relationship building has gotten short shrift.  

The classroom is a delicate web, and I am actively looking for ways to help it be stronger for the benefit of all. I know I cannot repair a lot of the issues middle-schoolers have with each other...that just goes with the territory. But I think there may be a few small fixes that will help.

I've ordered Damon's book, and will take it from there. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to implement some of my most engaging practices and do my best to enjoy each day. My learners deserve no less.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...