Saturday, August 29, 2020

Mad Lib

 Inspired by January O'Neil's poem "Mad Lib for Ella"



It's already 3:30 on a Saturday, 

the one before kids come back. 

I want to feel at rested and ready, 
 
but I don't. Spent way too
 
much time making docs and trying
 
to make sense but honestly,
 
I don't know what anything will
 
really be like. So now I look at
 
the fluffy afternoon August clouds
 
and realize it's almost September
 
in the weirdest year of my life --
 
in all our lives. Everything we took
 
for granted -- movies, concerts, parties,
 
and school events -- have disappeared.
 
Every day is a new lesson in unanswered
 
questions and wondering and just
 
trying to be present in our own
 
hearts and minds and to be
 
present for others. 2020 appears 
 
to be one long Mad Lib that keeps
 
going and going -- we never know 
 
what word will appear next.
 
And we've given up trying to make meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...