Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Tide Goes Out (but never really leaves)


 
Christmas 2019 tide going out Bunche Beach

Tide Goes Out (but never really leaves)

At first I thought this was another
“Since, Unfinished” Richard Blanco-style
poem, you know, the one that uses the
repeated phrase “I have been writing this since…”

but I haven’t been writing this.
It has been writing me.

Not sure exactly when it started, but I know
I cannot start a new year until I have completed
the business from the last year, the thing that
has been skirting around the periphery of my mind

since, well, I’m not sure. July maybe? And it came
to full force in mid-November and actually has
never left me since, even though I tell myself,
you should be long over this by now. What are

we talking about? Almost 45 years. But do these
things make sense? From what I’m learning…no.

It started with a song, of course, one called
“Seasons in the Sun” that is a beautifully moving
song when performed in Jacques Brel is Alive and Well
and Living in Paris, but was turned into a pop ditty
in the 1970’s by Terry Jacks. It is this version that

haunts me. It is one my brother told me he liked,
along with “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown,” and so we
would turn it up on the radio and sing. Until the
day I was driving him in that red Volkswagen Bug
and the song came on and he demanded I turn

it off. I didn’t want to believe what I was hearing,
but he insisted, and from that moment on I knew
my brother knew he was going to die, even though
it was supposed to be a well-kept secret from everyone
but my parents. The cruelty of that is beyond measure
in so many ways, the damaging effects long-lasting.

I’ve seen them.

But that isn’t the only music that has come full force
at me these last few months.  Just these past couple
of weeks I’ve had to come face-to-face with other
songs that carry me back, that make the grief rise
up. We watched the Kennedy Center Honors
celebrate the artistry of Linda Ronstadt, and as
is normal for these things, her breakout album
Heart Like a Wheel from winter 1975 was discussed
and praised. Lord knows, I know, because I was
listening to it nonstop during that time that my
brother’s tide was going out. I cannot think of this
time without that music. Linda went on to be a huge
influence in my life in many other ways. In the time
it took to salute her, I became a blubbering mess.

Later in the show they celebrated 50 years of Sesame
Street, and again I found myself wiping tears from my
eyes, as they did the song “Sing,” one that I never remember
was a Sesame Street song, but a Carpenters hit. No matter,
because all I ever hear are all the 4th grade voices singing
the song at my brother’s funeral. It can’t be anything else but that.

                        Back to July, I had time with my brother
and some of our neighborhood friends from days past, and
it felt so good to sit with people that had been there and knew
my brother for his entire brief life. There isn’t anything to explain,
or any grief that has to be uncovered. As it turns out, another
brother was lost in the meantime, and there we sat together
in the Cheesecake Factory and remembered the good times
together, the gifts given by these two, both gone too soon.

And my brother shared with them the news of his grandson, Aiden,
still battling cancer. A month later we would find out that his
treatment would be ending, and in November that brave boy,
decked out in a superhero cape, rang the bell at the hospital
signaling the end of chemo, and a grand celebration was held
throughout that weekend. And I wished I could be there, and
at the same time I found anger arising it couldn’t be the same
for my brother. I’ve tried to say, hey, what Richie went through
helped kids like Aiden. I know that logically. Emotionally, it is
still hurtful.

Richie – born and died too soon.

                        Back to early 1975, when I read the book
Catcher in the Rye. It wasn’t until I reread this book sometime
in 2008 that I remembered this book was essentially about a
boy that had suffered the loss of his brother. I recently saw
an article on LitHub where people were weighing in on
Holden Caulfield -- is he just a spoiled wacky kid, or
did he have reasons for the way he is. And I was happy to
read that most people understood that the loss of Holden’s
brother Allie was the real reason behind his actions, and I
could so relate, I could see it so clearly. It mentioned Holden
punching out the garage windows upon Allie’s death, and
that happened in my family as well – just one window, but
my brother wore a bandage all through the wake and funeral.
And the part about the grave and not wanting to think of his
brother’s body in the cold ground. That is me. That is why I
don’t visit graves.

When watching the film Little Women, Jo and Beth are sitting
at the beach, and it’s well-known that Beth’s heart is weak,
but Jo doesn’t want to hear it and wants to shut down the
conversation. Then Beth says something to the effect that
it is like the tide. It will go out, no matter how slowly.

Inevitable.

So, I’ve been writing this over the course of several months,
and then there was one more thing to add onto the flurry of
noise surrounding this latent grief, these little waves coming
up and sometimes overwhelming me, most of the time I’m
able to ride, but sometimes not. This is about another song,
one called “Go Rest High on that Mountain” that Vince Gill
wrote about the loss of his brother. And this year at the annual
Ryman show with his wife Amy, Vince introduced a new final
verse to the song. He had thought for a long time that the song
might not really be done, so he added a final verse to wrap it
up, and performed it at the Ryman. The video on YouTube of
his first performance shows a man who can barely get through
those final words, and I knew deep inside how unfinished it is for
all of us. We can add verses, I can write this poem trying to make
sense of what makes no sense, and yes, someday we will be
united, I believe that. But I also know that tide comes and goes,
and this will, too. No matter what I do. No matter how much
I want to believe it can come to end. It doesn’t.

It is in the music and the books.
It is in the friends and family who knew him.
it is in the memories that won't go away.
 
It is since…unfinished.

1/1/2020   9:04 a.m.
Richie December 1973




No comments:

Post a Comment

How Melody Inspires

I’m not talking about music melody. I’m talking about my friend Melody. And when I say “friend,” I always get a wry smile. I went to high sc...