Wednesday, December 11, 2019

26. Tsunami

#64Challenge

I am well aware it has been over a month since I wrote a blog related to my challenge. I have had a few ideas, but not anything that made me get into my studio and start typing.

Until today.

A little background first.

This story focuses on a student I have in reading class, as well as speech and debate. He moved here last year when his dad felt it was better for Jace (pseudonym) to live with him in Florida rather than his mom in Mississippi. Jace is a bit of a contrary kid, never coming to class on time, just kind of dragging around wearing his backpack in the front, dressed in a black hoodie, and not really talking to anyone. Sometimes he falls asleep in class. In speech and debate class, he didn't do much of anything to help his team. They wrote his rebuttal speech, and he did get up and deliver it, but that was about it.

Since I see him every day, I have come to understand how to work with him. I've also discovered he is quite intelligent, but won't put forth much effort. The teacher next to me, LeeAnn, has him for Language Arts. She has a soft spot for him, and we've discussed his progress (or lack of) at times.

Last week when his speech class finished their debates and started the Town Project, I sat down with Jace.  Everyone else was actively creating the person they were in the town, something I call the Character Autobiography. Jace was just sitting there, far from everyone else, not doing anything.

For some reason there seemed to be an opening for me to confirm that he doesn't feel he has any friends, and how hard that is. I pointed out to him that if he created a character for the town, when he spoke it wouldn't be Jace talking, it would be the character. I suggested that could be easier than being himself, just for the fun of it. I encouraged him to fill out the Character Autobiography form.

Much to my surprise, a day or two later I discovered he did it!


Today was the day the town (called Radio City) was electing a mayor. The kids who wanted to run for mayor were to give me their character name, which I listed on the board, and then they each had to give a speech.

So first I listed a boy. Then a girl. Then Jace raised his hand and said he was running for mayor.  His town name is Frank Ann. I wrote him down. We then added another girl and boy -- 5 in all.

When it came to the speeches, however, "Frank" wasn't so ready to perform. He was shaking his head, saying he wasn't going to come up and speak, just erase his name.

And that's when the magic began to happen.

The kids started to clap and chant his name: Frank Ann, Frank Ann, Frank Ann.  They were not going to take no for an answer, and eventually he got up and give a super short remark -- maybe something like "I'm Frank Ann. Vote for me." 

The crowd went wild.

After that, the writing was on the wall. The other two kids gave their little speeches, but everyone knew who was going to win. It was a tsunami of support for a kid who is often an outsider.

I handed out the ballots and then I slipped into LeeAnn's room (we have a little work room in between our rooms), and told her, " I think you may want to see this. Something is about to happen with Jace."

She came in the room as I collected the ballots. Then we started to read them off. A couple of the other students got votes, but all the rest were for Frank Ann. Every time I read his name on a ballot, a loud cheer went up. Over and over. 19 times! Jace could barely contain his joy -- he was glowing, although he was trying to hide behind his backpack. When it was clear he won, some kids were literally jumping up and down.

"Frank" came up to thank the crowd in his usual manner: "Thanks for making me mayor."

Short, but oh, so sweet!

I told my teammate Debbie about this event after work, and she pointed out that this was a wonderful example of kindness. And she was right. The kids in that 7th period class were being authentically kind to a kid that really needed a boost. It was a genuine attempt to let him know they were not willing to leave him out, even if he often removed himself.

This was a magical day I hope I never forget. And if I do...well, it's documented here to remind me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...