Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Alternate Path

Response to Billy Collins poem "Pavilion."



Billy's poem is about
imagining a different
kind of life,

not being a writer,
but perhaps a dog
hanging its head out
the car window.

Is there another life I would live?
An alternate?

I'm back at the herb farm
in Weaverville, North Carolina
a place we thought we'd like,
perhaps thrive.

The whole thing seems weird now.

But, 
I could have been that herb farmer,
looking at the sky above the mountains,
going by the rhythm of the seasons,
designing wreaths of lavender and eucalyptus,
rocking in the swing under a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...