Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Cloud Room

A poem oddly inspired by Billy Collins poem "Fishing on the Susquehanna in July" in which he writes about never having actually fished on the river, but instead stood in front of a painting of a man fishing on it.


Cloud Room

I stood in a cloud room the other 
day totally delighted,

and then I went outside and
saw the same clouds out over
the bay, palm trees in the 
foreground.

It was much more beautiful
than the cloud room.

I tied my wish for our country
on the Wish Tree -- the one almost
lost in Irma, but gratefully
resurrected.

All my wishes are for my country
now, to come to its senses.

As we stand in a cloud room
enamored,
Forgetting the real thing is
what matters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...