Sunday, November 11, 2018

Grant Park

I received a prompt from January O'Neill in her poetry workshop to write from a photo on my phone.  I combined it with the monostich form I learned in Major Jackson's workshop: a poem all in one sentence, but syntactically correct.  Here is what I've put together.



Grant Park

The blueberry sky as a background
for slighting clouds, and I’m wearing
my orange heather Sanibel Island
Writers Conference shirt and stone-colored
jeans, hands on my hips, wide shot,
red bricks in the foreground, and behind
me a wrought-iron fence, grass, water,
and Buckingham Fountain rising up
framed by the buildings of South Michigan
Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, water cascading
from the circular stone structure, majestic
tower of water straight above my head,
a dragon spitting a stream to my right,
a fuzzy triangle of water to my left,
sunglasses on, head cocked, it’s a bright
June day, one of the best of the year,
and after my friend Amy takes this photo
of me and the fountain and the city we
find a shady spot to sit and let the breezes
of Lake Michigan wash over us, and we
think about the history of this place fifty years
ago when generations and politics collided,
a rising of resistance and rebellion,
but there is no rage here today, no police
or protestors, just two women in peace
with the sky, the water, the wind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...