Monday, July 8, 2024

The Dragonfly Notebook

In my summer of purging, I came across the Dragonfly notebook. This was an idea from my friend Wendy. All the students had a composition book to decorate with a variety of pictures I provided, or they found themselves. Then we covered them with contact paper. These books were sturdy and provided writing practice and lessons. I first used this in the 2014-15 school year, when my teaching load was much lighter than it would eventually become—47 students total, all struggling readers. This notebook was how I demonstrated writing poetry and short answer responses. And it went beyond that first year, as there are things dated all the way to 2017. It was my “go-to” when I wanted kids to see how I puzzled through writing or breaking down text, and sometimes it was when we did things together. 

I found some poems in the book that I decided to share here. I consider this notebook a keeper, since it has a lot of easy and powerful ideas I don’t always remember to use. Below you will find some poems that were in the book, things I modeled or perhaps the class wrote together, I'm not sure. Anyway, I found them delightful, and hope you will as well.

The front


The back

*First is the poem that puzzles me as to its origin. It seems to be following a specific pattern, but I have no clue what I was modeling it after. 

Inspiration surprises me
Inspiration surprises me
I am a shining star
My creativity is a guiding light
My creativity is a guiding light
in which I walk
seeking expression
like a Mozart or Van Gogh
How the paths
of the local parks
nourish, nourish
and the silent trees 
nod.
Inspiration rises
between me and things
sparkling
sparkling
strong inspiration acted upon
is beautiful as sunrise
and swift with ideas
Strong inspiration dazzles
Strong inspiration dazzles
opening the mind
and heart.

*This is one I've used many times based on My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss.

On gold days
I feel confident
like an automobile
racing down a winding road
on the edge of a mountain.
 
On red days
I'm energized
like a kid bouncing
on a pogo stick
down the stairs
 
On purple days
I am happy
like clouds floating lazily
in the Florida sky.

* The list poem is always popular. This one made me giggle, then sigh.

List of What I Have to Say to 2nd Period Over and Over

Gerry, do you have a belt?
Terrance, you are not leaving the room
Andrew, sit down
Jamel, get your book
Jose, get back to your seat
Listen to Mrs. Buckner
Ty'ree, open your book
Christian, thank you for being on task
Yes, Zoey, you can write poetry
Yes, David, you can read poetry
I'm so glad you're here.

*And finally, a found poem from when we read The Great Wide Sea.

I remember some prayers
without words

I was shining there with them,
suspended and floating free

I tumbled away from space

Slowly the sun rose on a 
wide, empty sea

Skimming the lake, riding the wind

I opened the door and looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...