Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Engines of Creativity

 


If I were ever to get another dog, it would be a Corgi. Every time my coloring app has a Corgi picture, I have to color it. This particular one I found delightful. I suppose a Corgi could use a skateboard because their legs are so short. And why would he need a scarf except to look dapper? Whoever designed this took things that don’t usually go together and combined them. Creativity! 

I don’t have a clear direction on this posting today. I’m mostly musing. There are seven school days left. Our school does a great year managing the energy of the kids at the end of the year, and I’m grateful for that.

And, as usual, I’m planning how to do things better next year. With that in mind, I share this quote. The idea is from Thomas Merton, but it is put in Parker Palmer’s words:

Contradictions in our lives are engines of creativity. What we get wrong makes us reach for something better. What we get right assures us that “better” is sometimes within reach.

What I like about my quest to always get better is I have partners who are doing the same. I’ve already talked to another Global Perspectives teacher at my school about what we need to do next year, and we have both come to the same basic conclusion separately on how we need to approach things. I found this validating, and energizing as well. 

When someone hands you a curriculum that contradicts what you feel can get the job done, it’s time to get creative. And I’m all about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...