Monday, March 4, 2024

Guiding Principles

 I have been a fan of Jean Shinoda Bolen since I read Goddesses in Everywoman in 1994. She has been my companion through aging, with such books as Crossing to Avalon (about midlife) and Goddesses in Older Women. Today I completed a short volume for people in my age group: Crones Don’t Whine.

This book really came through at the end, when she played on the four guiding principles of life by anthropologist Angeles Arrien:

1. Show up
2. Pay attention
3. Speak your truth
4. Don’t be attached to outcome

Bolen changed this a little bit, and it’s definitely a good reminder for me these days:

1. Show up
2. Pay attention
3. Speak your truth
4. Pray for best outcome

Her reasoning for changing the last one fits with my belief: we don’t know exactly what ours or anyone else’s journeys are. All we can do is live and love the best way possible. 

In the final part she added this question for living as well: I wonder what is going to happen next?

As I head into work today, and the week ahead I am taking this question with me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...