Monday, February 26, 2024

Sitting With It

Today in my readings, I came across the word “improvisation” and it stood out to me. But I couldn’t think about what I wanted to say about it.

It was a busy morning, with Jim having surgery to get the mediport put in. Once everything settled down, I got us some lunch and went back to watching American Symphony on Netflix, which I started yesterday.

The movie is about Jon Batiste and his partner Suleika. In the film, he has just been nominated for a ton of Grammys at the same time she was told her leukemia had come back. She had a bone marrow transplant ten years earlier, and so coming out of remission came as a shock.

While watching the part where they got married before she went in for a second bone marrow transplant, the word “improvisation” came up. After the wedding Suleika said:

Jon has the greatest capacity for change and improvisation and growth of anyone I ever met. This is a moment that calls us to embody what our relationship is. It’s not, you know, all champagne and beautiful things. But it’s the hard things.

The word “improvisation” signaled me to write these words down. I was right there with her! 

Later, when Jon seems to be talking about the symphony he is writing, but could be he’s talking about the health challenges they are facing, (it is ambiguous), he says:

You have to confront the brutal facts of the reality that you might not pull it off. But at the same time have unwavering faith. Complete unwavering faith. And you have to do both at the same time.

I decided then the important thing was to record these messages here, and then sit with them. Listen to his We Are album some more. Take time for letting our journey be what it is. 

Just let it all soak in.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...