Saturday, March 14, 2020

Walking in a Different Direction

It is the first full day of spring break.

Ordinarily, I would be totally exhausted, crashed out, not willing to move.

But this year is different. I am full of energy. I'm committed to keeping my body moving, to get out in the sun and beautiful air, enjoy the last of this winter and the early days of Florida spring.

This past quarter was one of the easiest I've ever had. The curriculum I'm teaching, as well as the four creative writing classes, are keeping me from getting dragged down.

Then today, by happenstance, I took a slightly different pathway through my neighborhood. I didn't realize that I usually walk in the same direction in this particular section of our development. It struck me the minute I saw the yellow house with the purple door.  Hmmm...I've never seen that before.


Then it was the frog menagerie:


The tall monkey pine, towering over every other tree and house.  Noticed there were actually two of them in this area.


And my favorite, a lone yellow flowering tree. This is a tree I love here in Florida that only blooms in March. Unfortunately, most of them got destroyed in Irma.



What have I learned?  It pays off to do things differently.  My classes at school. My wardrobe. My walking patterns.

Mix it up. Find joy. Pay attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...