Tuesday, March 10, 2020

39. Scary and Unstoppable

#64Challenge

Inspired by David Kirby's "The Things I Can't Tell You."


I can't tell you what it must be
like to be a student these days
the constant online testing
and the expectation that
somehow an ice cream sandwich
is going to make you jump through
another hoop successfully
that if 10 classes aren't enough,
now you can take 12
oh yeah, and come to school earlier
because we need to raise
our standing, and it all depends on
you. I can't tell you what it
must be like to have a monthly
reminder that you can die in a
shooting and your life depends on
some kid who won't take these
things seriously. I can't tell you what
it's like to think a perfect day
involves nothing but video games,
the be-all and end-all of existence.
I can't tell you what it is like to have
my family crack apart, my father
disappear, my friend arrested for
threatening another kid on social media.
I can't tell you because as close
as I am, I will never be close enough.
And I can't say that's a disappointment.
The whole scenario is
scary and unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...