Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Legend of an August Sunday

Mentor text: "It's the Fifties" by Anita Pulier


The Legend of an August Sunday

At about 10 a.m.
I leave the house
and drive to Publix,
the radio playing Ronnie
Milsap singing
"A Legend in My Time."

Inside the store I find the
orange juice on sale,
some grapes, stir-fry veggies,
and the sad news they are out of
my favorite lettuce.

Living in a time of easy
to make food choices, so
necessary this time of year,
I pick up a variety for dinners,
along with my favorite yogurt,
some frozen food items.

The checkout is open,
the cashier in her Publix green smock
waiting just for me to spend
my $90 and be on the way,
packed into three canvas bags.

Pushing my cart out of the store
I wait while a father drops off his
cashier daughter in her Publix green smock,
then call Jim that I am coming home.

Upon arrival, he helps me by
carrying two bags. I carry one.

This is why it's great to be a team.
We can help feed each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...