Friday, March 22, 2019

Below the Surface, Part One

Well, it has been a long time since I've sat down to post the poems. Best laid plans said I'd get it done this week. Ha! Lots of poems to post -- this is only about a quarter of them, but this is all the time I want to donate right now. The gorgeous weather is calling me for a walk, and my mandolin is calling me to play.

SMOOTH
Seemingly without tension
Moving through everything effortlessly
Centered on task always
On point without fail
Tyler glides through the day
He makes it look so easy

WINGS
For Ashley
"Welcome to my world" she seems to say
In the way she looks at you
Never giving everything away
Growing and gathering, holding her
Superpowers close, waiting to take flight

The Future Speaks
Say you are incredibly gifted,
that the world around is
far from form-fitting,
in fact it can be downright uncomfortable.
The way Josh moves tells me the
Future speaks to him now
and he listens
and moves accordingly.

 PROMISE
Perhaps it's the way he
Rests easy wherever he is;
Others gather around.
Maybe it's his singular focus,
Intense and determined.
Safe to say, Lex has promise,
Evident in everything he does. 

BEGIN
Both clever and courageous, and
Easy to like, Victor
Gains favor with his peers,
Imagines a future for himself,
Numbers the triumphs to come.

 FOREVER
Feathery light and poised
Open to going beyond
Roundabouts don't confound
Even-tempered and solid
Veracious and vivid Natalee
Ever moving forward and up
Reaching for the higher place 


The Center
Standing in the middle,
turning by degrees,
Sam is the center.
The full moon, round, white blaze
quiet, unhurried spin;
wheel and compass,
axis and reel.


**Inspirations**
"My Heart" by Billy Collins
"Autumn at Blenheim" by David Whyte
"Watching the Perseids" by Twyla M. Hansen
"Ailey, Baldwin, Floyd, Killens, and Mayfield" by Maya Angelou
"He Sapa Four" by Layli Long Soldier
"Karen, David, and I Stop Across the Street from the Pitti Palace" by Barbara Hamby
"Center" by Billy Collins





No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...