Saturday, February 23, 2019

Short week, two poems

Found some inspiration this week.

Early Friday morning I was inspired when I read Peuo Tuy's poem "Rouge Rage 1975-1979" about how the U.S. and other countries supported Cambodia in killing their own people.

Then I wrote this nonet:

Fin
Today I thought about the words to
Bob Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind"
Peuo's poem is a reminder
these things go on and on.
How many times can 
we keep making
the same cruel 
mistakes.
Fin! 



This morning I read Twyla M. Hansen's poem called "The Hand of God," and loved the ending:

                   Paying attention
is a form of prayer, the answers
to which are waiting all around you
and close to home


Then I wrote this:

Paying Attention

Today I will be in nature
with a chance to pay attention

as I did yesterday when I watched
the osprey in their nest

heard their babies calling. Looked
at the sky when my eyes were

tired, the blue sky and contrasting
puffs of clouds before the next

class arrived. Paying attention.
Everything. The only thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...