Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Keys to the Kingdom

Yesterday was rough.  I admit it.  Came home angry and frustrated about a whole host of things: condescending presenters, bullying colleagues, another rushed lunch on a day I had hoped I could actually enjoy my food, rumors of schedule changes I don't agree with...too much all at once. It took a while, but I was able to calm down and pretty much forget a lot of it.

Mornings seem a little weird to me now that I'm no longer writing poems for my kids. I feel some other avenues are opening up.  For example, today I was reading a poem looking for inspiration, but at the same time listening to Ashley Monroe. Her song "Keys to the Kingdom" caught my ear, and that is what I used to get started.


I was given the keys to the kingdom
when I became a teacher. So easy
to forget at times that this is exactly

where I want and need to be. It is
easy to start hearing the negatives,
witness the bullying and the lack of

hope that anything can change. Where
do the striking teachers find their
belief? It is bereft here where young

teachers are getting ready to bolt and
long time teachers are making plans
and I guess the biggest question is

Is anything ever the way we want it to be?
Is the grass greener somewhere
else? Isn't it all trade-offs?

I hold the key to my kingdom.
It is my responsibility to make it a
place worthy of me -- worthy of my
young people -- worthy of building
                                                       the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...