Saturday, February 2, 2019

Dear Amy

Today I completed the scrapbook I have been creating for Amy to celebrate the trip we took together to Chicago. It has been so much fun, and has called back so many things I love doing. This was a combination of photography, writing, and collaging.  For me, that is the perfect trifecta!

I wrote in many structures to add variety:

2 Nonet
7 Haiku
1 Diamante
1 Pyramid Mirror (made up!)
1 Tanka
1 Monostich ("Grant Park" -- the one that started it all, inspired by SIWC)
1 Acrostic
4 Six-word memoirs
1 Letter poem

The letter poem was the last one I wrote, and the one I thought about the most.  When it came time to write, it just flowed. I hand wrote it in the scrapbook, so I am typing it here for my keeping.

Laura Ingalls Wilder Exhibit at American Writers Museum


Dear Amy,
I will long remember our visit
to the American Writers Museum,
from the opening video, the waterfall
of words, the many exhibits,
the games to play, some fun shopping,
and being there with you.
From Mark Twain to Flannery O'Connor,
John Steinbeck to Gwendolyn Brooks,
the virtuosos of language, American
perspectives, the voice of a character
on a printed page, historical moments
and understanding grace, literature
of America gifts the world with
portraits of the human condition,
all felt and on display with energy
and immediacy on the second floor
of that building on South Michigan Avenue.
So glad we shared it together, sister
American writer.  Love, Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I Am Now

 It’s just after 2:30 p.m and I finally got to quiet down, listen to music, and write. On May 28th, I wrote about how important it is to lov...