Saturday, October 6, 2018

Moon Song

Last night a writer friend posted about a poetic form that was new to me -- the Golden Shovel. I was immediately intrigued, since the form is attributed to Terrance Hayes, and I just finished his intense book of poetry American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin. The form uses another poem, taking each word and using it as the last word in the line.  His "Golden Shovel" poem was based on another poem I admire greatly, Gwendolyn Brooks' "We Real Cool."  It is a poem about dropouts playing pool at the Golden Shovel, and is a masterpiece in word placement and rhyme.

I write a poem every day, and was deeply in need of a new approach, so today I opened my Billy Collins book to the next poem, which is one I love: "The Man in the Moon."

I decided to use the last line: as if he had just broken into song.

I began writing about how I wake up at night and worry about old age...but then I realized I needed the word "he," and I had no way to use that word.  So I thought about "he," and Daniel from my 3rd period class came to mind. After that, it flowed. And in this case, I needed a final line that was not part of the text, but I think it works.  Next, I had to figure out the title. I decided to pull inspiration from Collins' title and the line I was using. This worked well, since Daniel can be bright as a full moon, and dark as a New Moon on any given day.

What I loved about doing this is that I have told myself many times that I'd like to write more poetry about my students because it helps me see into them better.  Yet, I rarely do it.  I'm going to dedicate myself to this form, think about my students, and see where it takes me.



Here is the first:  Moon Song.

He comes into the room, oppositional as
any 13-year-old boy who is having troubles, as if
he is the only one in the world. He
complains about the unfair treatment he had
in a previous class, something not just
in his eyes, and leaving him broken.
My para and I work together, getting him into
what he needs to do, after listening to his song...

...the one he needed to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Melody Inspires

I’m not talking about music melody. I’m talking about my friend Melody. And when I say “friend,” I always get a wry smile. I went to high sc...