Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Questions, Moorhens, and The Rolling Stones

I've been writing lots of heavy duty stuff. Time to lighten up.

She probably won't remember it, but a few years ago my friend Laurie sent me a bunch of writing prompts that were titles of songs that were all questions.  I used those prompts for a long time, writing all kinds of story starts and a little poetry.

Today I was reviewing the notebook with these writing practice pieces, and came across a silly one -- not so much song serving as the prompt, but what I did with it.  I spent some time today playing around with the draft I wrote, and so I am here to share what turns out to be a goofy little green space/blue space poem.

You see, I have some families of Common Moorhens that live on my lake.  I have watched them diligently since moving to Florida -- how they raise their young, how they handle threats, the songs they sing, how they move around the edges of the lake. One evening after torrential rain I watched a Mama and Papa frantically moving their baby nest before their little ones drown.  They are a source of education and delight.

This seemed like the perfect poem for today because last night in a green space moment, I saw a mother Moorhen aggressively chasing a Tri-Colored Heron away from the grasses where her nest was.  I mean, she was a bulldog!

So, for Mother Moorhen, I give you this poem based on "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow," complete with lots of Rolling Stones song titles to honor the influence for writing this in the first place. (They can be found in italics.)



=

Peeping in the bush
Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadows?
She's a midnight rambler
who can't get no satisfaction
red beak glowing in the sunrise
gimme shelter, the children cry
and please, some emotional rescue
we want to be fed
Mama watches for the owl
flying its moonlight mile
to terrorize her young
under cover of the night
that eagle
grabbing at her children
as if they were tumbling dice
shattered Mama is
and her love in vain
floods come and
Moorhen babies need to be moved quickly,
one by one, to a makeshift nest in the
sway of the grasses
Florida life
Babies peeping in the morning
Mama stutter steps the edge
(moves like Jagger)
Mama, have you seen
your babies resting in the shadows?
your 19th nervous breakdown comes as
the heron gets too close and
she resembles a street fighting man
but really, she's a rainbow
and a fool to cry
it's a way of life
dwindling children
knowing you can't always
get what you want
spring and fall roll around
start me up again, the nest,
the peeping, the constant vigil
and the cycle continues
it may not be a happy life
but it has its share of
satisfaction


P.S. It has come to my attention that in the last few years the name of this bird has been officially changed to the Common Gallinule. But they will always be Moorhens to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...