Saturday, February 10, 2024

This is Not My Final Destination

 (Inspired by Nick Flynn’s poem “ If This is Your Final Destination.)


This is not my final destination.

I’m called to a time of miracles and introspection, 
my ordinary “no news is good news” life 
turned upside down.

Words cause fear & hugs & pitying looks.

A student hands me a gift bag full of smelly lotions and 
body wash, Girl Scout cookies.

Some of my students even seem to 
appreciate me more —
 asking my favorites in music, 
looking happy to see me.

But this is not my final destination.

It will change again.

Human beings can get used to anything.

Today, I’ll have lunch with a friend, 
pick up chapter 2 on a novel, 
visit a new Publix store.

I will contemplate how life 
changes and moves on into
 new routines. 

Honestly, I’m better for it.

Always so much to learn.
Still so far to go.






1 comment:

  1. I watched my friend sink peacefully into the beauty of the marina backdrop. Her smile was between chapter one and the end. Yet it wasn't the end. It was the continuation of easy conversation and the intention of enjoying each other's company again, soon.

    ReplyDelete

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...