Tuesday, February 13, 2024

The 90s Version of Me

 It happened quite unexpectedly.

Today when I went on my favorite song guessing game, Song Pop, they had a daily mission to identify the Lenny Kravitz song “Again.” I pulled up the “Lenny Kravitz: Best of” list and found the song pretty early on. But what I noticed was that I was enjoying playing the list and, best of all, it was easy to identify his songs because they don’t all sound alike.

It is now going on 10 a.m., and I am still listening to Lenny and playing his list on Song Pop. I feel like a long delayed 1990s version of me has arisen. I wrote on January 22nd about how we have a million versions of ourselves waiting to be discovered and now, wow, I’m coming face to face with one of those.

The other reason is that tonight I am going to see the musical Jagged Little Pill based on the music of Alanis Morissette. I have one song from her that meant a lot to me in 2016 when I was home from work suffering with shingles, and I hit shuffle on the music machine and got “Thank U.”  I cried all the way through it. I may again tonight…who knows?

My Gen X friends made me aware of the power of Alanis many years ago. I realized then that Alanis was their Joni Mitchell or Carole King. We all need that as teens, and the female artists do that for us. It’s one of the best parts about music.

So, why didn’t I get into Lenny and Alanis back in the day? Well, probably a ton of reasons, not the least that their music wasn’t exactly aimed to my demographic.  Yet, I always appreciated their songs, knowing many of them well enough to sing along to. Still, during the 90s I had a ton of things going on and leaned toward softer music and 90s country.

Today, though, it’s Lenny all the way. As I finish up this post, I’m listening to this song and it has been the one that has spoken loudest to me today. Enjoy a very young Lenny reminding us it ain’t over ‘til it’s over. Even, apparently, the 1990s!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...