Saturday, October 22, 2022

Our Changing Community

 I teach a subject called Global Perspectives to a collection of 7th and 8th graders. The course is designed by Cambridge University as part of their AICE program.

This year I am teaching the second middle school level, and have been a bit frustrated getting started. The first topic we were to dig into was "Changing Communities." The suggestions for how to approach the project (called "challenge" in AICE lingo) confounded me. I could not figure out how to make it relevant to my 12 and 13-year-olds. I didn't even know what change there was to research.  Every time I tried to figure it out, I fell into a deep hole of despair -- basically, getting nowhere.

Then Hurricane Ian happened. Talk about changing communities! 

Honestly, I didn't need something this extreme to hit me upside the head. But it has given much more meaning to the challenge before us.

We got a start Friday. I had the learners form small groups and start brainstorming all the changes they have already witnessed. I am piecing together where we will go from here. But for right now I found myself feeling like I can actually make something of this. And that is huge!

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...