Sunday, October 23, 2022

“And the seasons, they go ‘round and round…”

 


Today I pulled out an album I haven’t heard in decades: Joni Mitchell’s Miles of Aisles. I was prompted to do so in a couple ways. I knew I wanted to do “art and vinyl” this afternoon; earlier I had seen an interview with Brandi Carlisle about a concert planned for next June with Joni live—first concert in over 20 years. It got me curious about this album sitting in my collection, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. “Circle Game” opened side three, and was one of my favorites today.

Somehow the Halloween season is on my mind, and not in the usual can’t-we-just-get-this-over-with way. This is super weird since I don’t care one lick for Halloween. But somehow, maybe it’s the hurricane or other things swirling around me, this year I feel slightly different. I find myself letting it in little by little.  I ran Halloween-themed coloring sheets for my students, and some had time to color. I began to decorate my room with them.

This is so not me! 

Here is the coloring page I did while enjoying every single minute of Joni live from nearly fifty years ago. 



The seasons do indeed go round and round. We are captive in the carousel of time. My wish is to make it colorful and joyful and uplifting in every way I can. This is what art and vinyl is about—getting in touch with those little pieces inside ourself that we might be overlooking. That and a craft beer equals a perfect afternoon in my mind.

Tomorrow I will tape my Zentangle pumpkin to my classroom wall. I will think of seasons changing, cooler weather, the coming of other holidays, and how my only “job” in life is to make the most of each day and be the best version of me I can be. And mostly, that I’m not too old to change my mind about things I already thought were settled! 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...