Wednesday, May 4, 2022

54. Drawing Metaphors

 #66Challenge

The FSA Reading test was yesterday and today, which means burnt-out kids and messed up routines. 

Fortunately, I know a bit on how to handle these kinds of days. Keep it easy. Keep it light.

We love the spoken word poem “Seventeen” by Rudy Francisco, who is the king of metaphors. Yesterday, we watched his video and studied the words a bit as a way to enhance our study of similes and metaphors. 


 

Today we were interrupted by an unexpected fire drill because of a glitch in the system, and we all had to stand outside in the blazing heat while the fire department checked it out. By the time we got back in, everyone was extra spent.

So I was glad to have this fun “drawing metaphors” activity ready to go. The last hour of the day I sat soaking in my 9th period as they worked on their drawings and explanations of some of the metaphors in Rudy’s poem. 



Not many students finished, but I did enjoy some of their drawings and explanations. 






Not many days left. I'm going to keep having fun because I know what I am giving them now is worth gold...and some of it they may actually remember in years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...