Monday, March 23, 2020

41. New Pathways into Uncharted Territory

#64Challenge




When I began this #64Challenge project at the beginning of the school year, I thought I knew where I was heading. Boy, was I wrong!

Little by little, my sure path has disappeared.  Now, in its place, is a whole new geography.

There is no map.

Today was about new pathways in leadership, teaching, understanding of my role, following the directions of others. It was a day of starting a lot of new things. It was about identifying the things I know, and what I have comfort with that is of value, and using those things to the carry me down the road.

When I read about the reading process, I learned about the new neural pathways that are formed as we read. Today, my neurons got quite a workout.

Today was not so much about feeling stressed -- my breathing was even, I didn't feel rattled. It was more about my brain getting a real workout.

By 4:30 I was dying to get to the floor, the speakers between my ears, and listen to some vinyl. This has become my new means of stress relief. It is grounding and meditating and discovering and remembering all at once, as I pull out old albums and give them a listen.

Today it was a progressive style rock band from 1971 Cleveland: Glass Harp. This was an album I obviously played a lot when I was 15, because I knew every stinking word! I got to the second last song, called "Garden" and heard these words that felt comforting:

The night is not forever
The sun will rise again
But when the night surrenders
The morrow will be our friend.

No one knows how long this "night" will last. But what I do know is I have a role to play with the children in my community. I commit to doing all in my power to find the best pathways through this terrain, mark the way, learn, and grow.

We will see the sun again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...