Monday, August 12, 2019

Poem to Honor the First Day of School

Inspired by Joy Harjo's poem "Song for the Deer and Myself to Return On."


Here is a poem about what we call to us, and once we have it
we have to figure out what to do with it.

I understand the need for deeper learning. Now I am charged with
making that happen with over 180 young people.

Do not tell me to put them in rows,
or to overwhelm with tons of rules,
or to "hit the ground running,"
or to pre-test and post-test on computers.

Instead,
ask me to find the poetry in each child,
to help them build and cherish their identity,
to assist as they seek mastery and creativity,
to connect the unconnected.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...