Monday, December 31, 2018

Top Six Live Music Moments 2018

 Live shows weren't as plentiful in my life as some previous years, however the ones I did see were some of the best ever.  There are some musical moments that stand out in my mind, so here is recap of my top six. I've included videos to share either the magic of the song, or the artist, or both!



6. "Have It All" performed by Jason Mraz. Fort Myers. March.
Jason is the type of performer you can enjoy even if you don't know his music. In an evening that stretched nearly three hours, there were many to choose. This was his final song and a new one he was releasing, and it inspired me greatly. I played this song on the first day of school for all of my classes, and I went to see his film about making the music video. Fun, fun, fun!



5.  "Don't Miss Your Water" performed by Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, and Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives. Clearwater. December
This song was written by the fabulous soul artist William Bell, which I never realized until that night. Of all the songs performed that evening, each one a classic, this was the one that moved me the most. I'm putting a live version by Bell here, just because it's so great!



4. "Tomorrow Is My Turn" performed by Rhiannon Giddens. Tampa. April.
I first got into the music of Rhiannon Giddens when I was suffering a health issue. Her music was incredibly healing, and her version of this Nina Simone song was life-changing for me during that particular part of my life. Hearing it live intensified its healing magic for me.




3. "Dear Theadosia" performed by Jin Ha as Aaron Burr in Hamilton. Chicago. June.
Jin Ha was my favorite performer in the production of Hamilton; the emotion he brought to this song was unforgettably moving. I understand he has moved on to another show. I count myself lucky I got to see him in June.  I first saw Jin Ha in the televised live production of Jesus Christ Superstar, and he impressed me then as well.



2. "Everything That Glitters is Not Gold" performed by Balsam Range. Sanibel Island. January.
The vocals. The heartbreak. Buddy Melton's amazing tenor voice. Seeing Balsam Range was a night of humor, music, and artistry. This is one of the best examples: a story of a woman that leaves her family behind for the rodeo. When he hits that pause near the end, my eyes never fail to fill with tears no matter how many times I've listened.



1. "American Tune" performed by Paul Simon. Sunrise, FL. September
The second last song in a two hour concert, the lyrics and Simon's introduction encapsulated everything that needed to be said about our  lives during this era. It was delivered with just Simon on the stage, one spotlight, no screens. Tears flowed. This has always been a favorite of mine, and he gave it the honor it deserves in the American songbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...