Saturday, August 19, 2017

John Denver...again

 


Today is my personal conclusion of one fantastic spiritual and deeply-meaningful journey through The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. This twelve week creative recovery course has no equal. And once again, I have been shown the bottomless well of creativity and spirituality inside myself, discovering ways of being which have eluded me to this point.

At the beginning of this journey, I was moved by the John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High."  I recognized it as the ultimate blue space song, and wrote about it on this blog.  Then, a few weeks later, the song "Take Me Home Country Roads" came on the radio at the exact moment I was turning on to a road in the mountains to take me back to a place that is significant to me in Glendale Springs, North Carolina. This is synchronicity, a guiding principle in The Artist's Way, and so obvious as to almost be laughable.  I didn't write about it, but "Take Me Home..." is certainly a green space song -- something I didn't even recognize until just now.

Today, however, was the most intense John Denver experience.  I somehow knew it was a John Denver morning, so I put on his collection I've downloaded from Amazon Prime to listen to while I completed my final check-in on The Artist Way, read Julia's parting words, and completed my personal Creativity Contract.

It was at the moment of completing those activities this song came on:

You fill up my senses
like a night in the forest
like the mountains in springtime
like a walk in the rain
like a storm in the desert
like a sleepy blue ocean.
You fill up my senses
come fill me again

This is a love song John wrote to his wife Annie.  But this time I did not hear a love song to a marriage partner. I heard a love song to myself, my inner creative person, my inner child who loves to play, and wants to be the best person she can be.  I heard these words and I thought, "Let me live and breathe and drown and die in my creative life. Let me love that creative side of me so much I never forsake her again for any reason."

Come let me love you
let me give my life to you
let me drown in your laughter
let me die in your arms
let me lie down beside you
let me always be with you
Come let me love you
come love me again 

I am currently writing a book about this time of my life -- a time I have suffered health issues and anger and a tendency to not even recognize how off course I was. I would have told you all along I was loving myself, and I was being creative and fulfilled.  But compared to where I stand today, I can see the deficits I experienced over and over again, and how hard it was to get back on the right path even when I knew there was a problem. Too many false starts.

Until I returned to The Artist's Way.

Somehow John Denver has become a muse to me during this time -- a singer I never paid a lot of attention to in the past.  I am grateful for the help I am receiving from the other side.  I am grateful he put himself out there to write these luscious blue and green songs, to tell his deepest feelings even when mocked for it, and leaving behind a musical catalog that is just starting to sift into my consciousness in unexpected ways.

And, of course, I'm forever grateful to Julia Cameron for developing this program, one that has contributed to my life in countless ways, yet never fails to keep giving.  Thank you, Julia.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...