Saturday, April 15, 2017

Birds Moving on the Beach


I visited Bunche Beach today in an effort to find some Blue Space, something I learned of just yesterday.  It is a frame of mind the beach can put you in -- the environment is guaranteed to lift stress and depression, as well as increase creativity.  Of course, I know that already, but fail to use this easy method of staying in balance.  Today, I begin a new commitment to keep some Blue and Green balance in my life.

The best part about Blue Spaces or Green Spaces is that they often are together.  My commitment is to notice, to document, to not forget to use this easy method to keep me in balance and energized and inspired.

And after my visits to Green Spaces and Blue Spaces, my plan is to read a David Whyte poem. I have a new and selected poems collection called River Flow.  I chose David Whyte because his poems combine nature and spirituality, and his work is one of teaching the use of poetry to help us in our every day work lives: something we all need, all the time, even those of us who have a job that includes teaching poetry.

There are over 300 poems in this collection, and today I began a section called "Moments."  This was the first poem, and I used it as a mentor poem to express what I witnessed at the beach today -- lots and lots of birds.

David's poem:


My poem:

Birds Moving on the Beach

In spring
through the shallow water
around the bay
there are birds moving
on the mud flats

in the cool light
they hunt and peck

following the sand offering
until a resting place
              calls

and morning
is the graceful sound of fulfillment
in the Florida sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...