Saturday, July 13, 2024

Making Coffee

 Journal Entry

 

Before my accident, I had made a decision to reread Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. It espouses Zen meditation and helps point us in the right direction for proper meditation techniques.

I feel too beat up to actually sit Zazen, but since breathing is a huge part of it, I'm doing fine. Over and over I've been reminded that deep breathing is necessary in my condition to prevent pneumonia. The first person to tell me that was the EMT who took me to the hospital up to the doctor I saw yesterday.

So breathing...I can do that.

Today's chapter was "Mind Weeds."  

Pulling out the weeds we give nourishment to the plant. 

I see this. If I recognize and then clear away my stress and concerns, I can focus on what is necessary and profit from that personally. 

Case in point -- yesterday Erwin, the physical therapy nurse Jim has been seeing -- came for his last visit. I found myself in tears as I watched him leave, watching him go down the stairs. I burst into tears and went into the kitchen and cried. He had done incredible work with Jim during this very difficult, traumatic time. I was so grateful. He had a gift. Knowing he would not be back crushed me.

And I felt so alone.

Then I guess I pulled the weeds. I saw that coffee needed to be set up for the next day. I quit crying and did the simple act of measuring water and coffee, and setting the timer.

Suzuki says:  

When your effort becomes pure, your body and mind become pure. This is the way we practice Zen.

I don't know how pure my mind is. But I do know the coffee today was sure good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...