Tuesday, March 26, 2024

“When you write a poem…”

After running Jim to the doctor this morning, I started thinking about what I would write today. I was contemplating whether to write a poem or share someone else’s poem.

Then this came across my Facebook feed from my friend Dana:


And then I knew I had to share a poem written by one of my students.

I previously wrote about how I put a couple of ideas in front of my intensive readers, one being “If I Were in Charge of the World.” I was giving them a chance yesterday to finish up the poem if they had not done it before break. Getting back into the swing of things can be difficult, so a little writing activity was welcome. In fact, I overheard some kids talking about how much they liked to write. 

In the class is a wonderful young man named Josue. Yes, I’m going to use his actual name. He is kind, quiet, works hard, and is friends with everyone. He doesn’t carry the middle school baggage some kids have, but he also remains a bit of a mystery. So, while other boys were writing about soccer or who they were going to harass if given the chance, Josue submitted this:


If I was the ruler of earth
I would get rid of world hunger because I don’t want my mom to keep
telling me that there are kids that have nothing to eat.
If I were to be ruler of earth,
I would try to make peace in between nuclear wars.
If I were to be ruler of earth,
I would wanna bring back extinct animals and put them on a big island and
see what they do.
If I were to be ruler of earth,
I would just want to give the world peace and that’s it.
*
I felt the gift given in this poem, told him so immediately, and thanked him for it. 

I love knowing the things that are important to this gentle soul who sits in my classroom now, but could easily fall off my radar in the future. I don’t want that to happen, and I feel the need to honor him here.

So thank you, Josue, for your vision of a world community that works. You have a part in this! Know that I see a beautiful future for you, no matter where you go or what you do. You are a peacemaker and a poet. You have much to give. 

Keep the hunger. 
Keep the focus. 
Keep on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...