Monday, August 1, 2022

Saharan Dust

 I kept my commitment to go to the beach early today to pray for the upcoming school year. I typically find a shell, say all my prayers, then drop it into a hole in what I call the “Prayer Tree.” 

I arrived to a skinny beach, as the tide had been all the way in and was just starting to recede. I found my shell and walked, thinking about the school year. The air was very still and I kept feeling grit in my mouth. Something just didn’t feel right. I found it puzzling since nothing was stirring the beach sand. Later I would be reminded of the presence of Saharan Dust in this area, which explained a lot!

After my visit to the prayer tree, I didn’t feel like hanging around. I was anxious to get back home, out of the stifling environment, and find out what to do about our non-working internet. I also thought about and prayed for my mom who moved to assisted living today. To Wayne who is getting chemo treatment. For the health of my husband who is waiting on results of two biopsies. And for the grief our family is suffering in the wake of Dan’s transition. It hit me that these things weigh on my mind, and that the school year is small potatoes in comparison to them.

I thought I had gone to the beach to get ready for the school year. Instead, I was confronted with somewhat harsher realities, making the start of school feel easy in comparison.

Like the Saharan Dust that is present, somewhat invisible, and mildly irritating, the changes and challenges in life are always with asking to be acknowledged and accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...