Monday, March 21, 2022

37. Insurmountable

#66Challenge

On February 17, right at the end of my planning period, I spontaneously decided to make a trip to the office to check my mailbox and turn a couple things in.

I never do this, make a trip up there so close to class change. But I felt directed.

And that is when I saw a young science teacher, and in that moment I recalled a student telling me that she had been out of school because her students had done such mean things to her, she could not even show up.

I reached out. Talked with her (I don't really know here at all.) Told her of my own struggles this year, how I, too, had to remove myself for a while in order just to get my mind back in shape. It was good to connect, even for less than five minutes. What they had done to this teacher was beyond reprehensible.

She was waiting to speak to the principal about the situation. And since I understand a few things have been put into place to help her bridge this time.

But will she last? Will we lose another good teacher because of mean and feral young people? 

How the hell did we get to this point? Our culture has lost so much decency, it is beyond belief.

Most of all, what can we do? It feels insurmountable at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now I Know

 My heart feels lighter today. Two days ago, I talked to one of the hospice services in our area. I was pretty much told that I needed to br...