Thursday, November 7, 2019

25. Mic Drop

#64Challenge

Today something so unexpected happened, I'm still reeling.

Last year I taught a boy named Greg who had zero interest in reading. I could not get him interested in one thing. He is not the world's best reader, and has been retained before, so his desire was nil.

Around February or March a girl in the class suggested he read The Crossover by Kwame Alexander. Greg slowly made his way through, but never actually finished the book, even though it is one written in verse and is a pretty fast read for most kids.

This year he is in my class again, and I noticed a new maturity about him. He is much better about doing his work. I suggested a book at the beginning of the year to him, expecting he'd just keep putting it in front of himself and never actually finish. Yet--surprisingly--he did finish. Then he went to the library and got a book. Then another book. He fills out the goal-setting bookmark and turns them in. This has been going on and yes, I noticed, but didn't really pay close attention.

Today he came back from the library with a book called Endangered. I looked at the book and asked, "What made you pick this out?"  His reply: "I wanted to read a longer book. Most of the ones I've been reading are pretty short."  And he sat right down and started reading, even though it was just 3 minutes before we were leaving for lunch.

It's hours later, and I'm still stunned and delighted. Perhaps his reading life is endangered no more.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Know

 I haven’t written in a couple of days because my mind is whirring. One day I think I know the direction, the next I see different possibili...