Saturday, June 15, 2019

Rock Throwers, Wisdom's Daughters

This summer is starting to shape up differently than I anticipated.  Well, I'm not sure what I anticipated, but there is definitely a feeling of a shift happening with me in many ways.

Given this feeling, I returned to one of my favorite books: A Woman's Book of Life by Joan Borysenko.  In this book published in 1996, Joan explains how women's lives break down into segments of 7 years.  I've been following this for some time, and since I'm now 63, I am entering another era in my life.  This is what I'm feeling, I know. And I find it exciting.

This summer I've also started practicing the found poem as a way to deepen my attention to text. Given all these things together, I decided to write a found poem from Joan's chapter called "Ages 63-70: Wisdom's Daughters."  I am sure I will have much more to say on this topic as time goes on, but here is a starter poem on the topic near and dear to me right now.



Rock Throwers, Wisdom's Daughters

Throw a rock in the water
the ripples are far-reaching
words and actions touch other
                  in positive ways

How different the world could be
         with the
                      compassionate
                      empathetic
                      interdependent
                      intuitive wisdom
                                     of the feminine

This is the time of women

Freedom years, a shift:
      value nature and technology
      honor diversity
      learn from each other
      preserve health
      foster longevity

Usher a new worldview into being

Restore balance in a troubled world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around and Around We Go

 It is Thursday, and my first thought is Why is the summer going so fast? My second is How will I ever get everything accomplished I need to...